Monday, September 10, 2012

Reciprocal Inspiration- Is your Hero OK?


Many people have inspired me greatly over the course of my 29 (NOT YET 30) years. Usually inspiring people cycle through me until they become my inspirational equal. I've probably only started to become aware of this in the last two-ish years, but it's been empowering.

I've had some rare moments of utter contentment. Brief moments frozen in time when I never would have desired anything else other than what I currently had before and around me in that moment. My wedding comes to mind. The births of my siblings. Having the opportunity to be there with my Nana when she passed away. Gratitude is not always about happy events... I know this because I because I didn't get there in time for my father's death. It made me miserable. But it also made me understand the fortune of being there when someone you love dearly passes.

For some reason, however, when I haven't yet found the meaning in something and the going is like walking on razor blades in the middle of a desert, I rely on other people to help me through. Sometimes, the person has written a song that I've heard a million times before but in that moment
it's perfect. It might be a teacher, a writer, a stranger.

This is for people who have inspired me in difficult times. People who's horns turned out to be far more useful to me than the wings I once imagined they had. It's for people who have randomly been there in a moment in time when I've needed them to be. For the one's whose names I never even got the chance to ask. For my dogs that have been there through my sobs- perhaps the only heroes I still consider to be flawless.

Take it easy on yourself and remember that inspiration, like burden, is a reciprocal arrangement. It's what the J.D. Sallinger quote that heads my blog is all about.

No comments: