Wednesday, August 1, 2012

iGoogle My ADHD Life- Big Mistake!


Why your productivity should never rely on Google or iOS apps that rely on Google…

-TheGingerBreadReview

It seems to be that in our uber tech-weenie times, Google and Apple just can’t get along.

The following is non-tech-weenie-safe review of Google’s approach to iOS (or whatever the fuck it’s called) users.

The word on the tech-weenie street is that Google runs some kind of Android thingy these days. Hence they are in no rush to help out Apple- their competition- by providing superb functionality to users with Google accounts.

Two years ago, after playing secretary for a mates iPhone whilst she was overseas for two weeks, I joined the Appiltion. I could sync my google calender to my phone, and my email to my phone and I thought it was heaven on earth.

Very quickly after this, I realised that my control over my google account was diminishing. For example, I tried to create a google plus account, with a rather unflattering nickname. Despite attempts to e-mail google (they srsly have no customer support which will bite them and their users-including me- in the arse sometime soon) I cannot shake this nickname as being my email ‘title’. Now when I joined Google+ on my iphone, the assurances re privacy were all there, but since joining, in practice, I’ve simply lost control.

I also cannot organise my Calendar sufficiently anymore. I have been trying for weeks to clear my calendar via phone, desktop, everything and I always get the message that ‘Google Calender is unavailable’. This sucks arse for me because I’ve just got a kick arse all-in-in-one time management (huge bonus for distracted types like me) that I would like to sync with my iOS Calendar. Only my iPhone is synced already with Google, so I can't even change that until Google chooses to be functional again. Srsly, I don't care about the tech-weenie wars, but Google isn't going to win my heart or my investment by giving me shyte functionality on iOS!

Google Calendar, unlike most other providers, has no real help section, they leave their clients to tread the waves of Google, put up with their shit attempt at social networking (google+) and the impacts such as I described on old school users, and take away control from their user-base.

This witch may well be looking for a new Gingerbreadhouse very soon as well as e-mail, desktop browser, bloghost, etc. in the very near future should Google not get its act together.

-The Witch

4 comments:

Website Admin said...

I am trying to de-Googlise my life right now!

Maybe this might help.
http://5by5.tv/mpu/77

Gingerbread House said...

T Diddy, either Apple or Google is flaccidising your linkage homie. Shall uncouch myself and fire up my Lappy (which by the way has this annoying "you have low disk space and will die a slow torturous death" warning on a regular basis these days. It's only two years old FFS. Just when Dell decides to no longer their "even if you deliberately throw me through a glass window into the street and then run me over in your Hummer" warranty--
OF COURSE!!!)

Gingerbread House said...

My first reply is v down there v

My second is right here. So I decided to manually type in your wisdom on my phone instead and it's looking promising.

So I'm thinking Picassa- my wedding photos, this blog, my DIARY, my CONTACTS, and yet there is life without google?

Have you also joined te Appilition? Are we as shallow as the tech weenies say?

Will my unborn childbe stolen by hackers if I trust "the cloud"?

Gingerbread House said...

T Diddy, either Apple or Google is flaccidising your linkage homie. Shall uncouch myself and fire up my Lappy (which by the way has this annoying "you have low disk space and will die a slow torturous death" warning on a regular basis these days. It's only two years old FFS. Just when Dell decides to no longer their "even if you deliberately throw me through a glass window into the street and then run me over in your Hummer" warranty--
OF COURSE!!!)